Linux sucks?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Feb 14 02:32:48 UTC 2005

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005, Paul wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-02-13 at 18:36 -0500, Kunal Shah wrote:
>> For Microsoft, they have policy, if it's the problem of Microsoft, they wont
>> charge you. If its problem of your application, they will charge you
>> heavily.
>
> Hmmm well I've never been able to get MS to support issues I've had with
> W2K, they have always pointed their finger at a 3rd party driver or tool
> and I've had to chase the problem with them.
>
> Of course we have never had anything other than what Joe random gets
> when they buy Windows retail for support.
>

>> As I said, we could never go in production with Linux.
>
> Sure you can ... plenty of financial companies are using Linux in
> production to run their applications ... they are just using a
> commercial version.   Talk to IBM if you really want hand holding as
> they are more than willing to walk you though the migration and provide
> support (or Novell for that matter).

Recent headline:

Linux use doubles in financial organisations

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39185566,00.htm

"Support for Linux in the traditionally conservative world of financial
services has more than doubled in the last year according to the latest
market intelligence.

Support for open source technologies from mainstream suppliers such as IBM
and Sun has boosted the number of financial institutions using Linux from
27 percent last year to 58 percent in 2005, according to a report from
financial technology researchers"

http://www.finextra.com/fullstory.asp?id=13144

--
 		Matthew Saltzman