Problems geting external hardware modem to work in FC 3

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Mon Feb 14 03:30:43 UTC 2005

William Hudspeth wrote:
> I have just installed Fedora Core 3. I cannot actvate a modem, getting the
> Error "Failed to Activate Service with Error 2".

What exactly do you mean "activate the modem"? You don't activate a
modem, it is a DEVICE. You can activate an INTERFACE (like ppp). Is this
what you mean? Are you trying to connect to your ISP?

  Although the network
> configuration indicates the modem is configured, it doesn't show up in
> hardware browser.

Mine doesn't either but still works so I don't think this has anything
to do with it. Kudzu recognized my modem and set it up automatically.

  It is an external hardware modem that worked fine 2 hours
> previously with Redhat 9. The modem continues to work fine with Windows XP
> (dual-boot machine).
>
> Any guidance would be appreciated. Bill

Firstly, check whether you have a /dev/modem link, then use something
like minicom to test whether you can "talk" to the modem.

Regards,
Ed.