Linux sucks?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Feb 14 04:18:59 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-13 at 18:01 -0500, Kunal Shah wrote:
> Major problem using Linux as server is the Support. As such we don't
> have proper support for Linux operating system. I understand that we do
> have lot of users and mailing list and people involved with Linux
> community are kind enough to share experience and solutions however,
> what about SLA ( Service Level Agreement)? .
>
> Although I know Linux is much more stable them windows, I cannot
> convince my upper management to use it because of only one question. If
> anything goes wrong in production, what is our SLA to resolve the issue
> and get it back on board.

You seem to be confusing "Linux" with "Linux Distribution"
Linux in it's most precise definition is the kernel used by many Linux
Distributions. The distribution contains many other items of software.

A Company who puts together a distribution (RedHat, Suse, and others)
often have what you term an SLA.

Check the proper sources and use the right terms and you will find what
is needed.

Many companies depend on in-house expertise to handle problems.  Others
require the SLA from the distributor.