openoffice.org-1.1.3-5.5.0: bug or feature?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Feb 14 05:53:47 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 12:02 +0800, Wong Kwok-hon wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:04:13 -0400, Arthur Pemberton
> <dalive at flashmail.com> wrote:
> > Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> >
> > > I just yumed my way to the latest FC3 release of OpenOffice
> > > (BTW...thanks to whoever fixed the paste bug). After yum was all done
> > > I went ahead and start Calc from the menu (I use KDE). Calc loaded
> > > very quickly ( I estimate that the splash screen lasted for only about
> > > 25% of it's previous times). However Calc loaded to this very scary
> > > screen. I used kSnapshot and uploaded the result:
> > > http://pembo13.dalive.com/snapshot-oocalc-1.1.3.png . Now normally,
> > > being opened up for the approprate app. So I had never before seen
> > > this screen. Having been in windows for awhile (3.1 to WinME) bad
> > > habits die slow, so I rebooted the machine. I know I don't have to
> > > reboot to implement an upgrade but still. Came back up, and got the
> > > same result. I decided to open a document, since the simple file menu
> > > in oocalc was active, and it open the file as normal. Was also able to
> > > open a new doc etc.
> > >
> > > But what I want to know is is thsi new behavior correct? It certainly
> > > isn't user friendly. I don't won't to go filing  abug report prematurely.
> > >
> > > Thank you.
> > >
> > I just discovered that the ability to start a new instance by launching
> > a different OO app is gone. For example, before, if I had OO Writer
> > open, and then I launched OO Calc, it would. Now just places a button on
> > the taskbar for awhile, then dissappears, with no apperent effect; as if
> > I'd done nothig. Open a spreadsheet from the file menu in Writer, does
> > open a Calc interface with the approriate document however, as it should.
> >

> But now I think it is faster to open the Open office than before.

There is another part of this change that is really irritating.  Any
specific icon for OO that used to open the writer/calc/impress now opens
exactly the same window.

Now to even get the toolbars to show and a window to work in you have to
go to file - new - text document/spreadsheet/presentation.

I understand that OO is a framework and the content(calc, writer,
impress, etc) are all flexible.  However, the icon should still open a
blank page of the type you expect (spreadsheet, text document,
presentation, etc)

This IS a change from the prior version.
Jan 30 08:56:15 Updated: openoffice.org.i386 1.1.3-2.5.fc3
Feb 13 18:06:34 Updated: openoffice.org.i386 1.1.3-5.5.0.fc3