Problem on boot

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Feb 14 07:15:24 UTC 2005

On Monday 14 February 2005 01:50, naxis wrote:
>hello,
>I have a problem with my machine.When I turn it off,on boot I have a
>filesystem error.I have to type Ctl+D and run fsck before it works.
>I'm thinking about setting the journal mode but I dont very well.

Thats because linux is like any Good Operating System, it flushes all
disk caches and synchronizes the disks such that there aren't any
errors when you do a gracefull shutdown by grabbing a shell, and
typeing:

shutdown -h now(enterkey)

It will go thru the reverse of the bootup, shutting down services and
finally unmounting the drives before it either shuts the machine off,
or prints "power down" on the screen telling you to turn it off if
its not capable to turning itself off.

To simply shut the box off without doing this is asking for a
contaminated file structure on the disk that may, or may not, be
fixable with an e2fsck on the drive in question.  You can replace the
'now' above with a time like '5 minutes', and it will wait that 5
minutes for everyone to get their data saved that happens to be
logged into the machine since they will get a notice on their screens
announcing that the system is being shutdown in 5 minutes.

FWIW, you can screw a windows machine up just as quickly, and for the
same reason by just hitting the power switch, so get out of that
habit, it WILL cost you at some point, guaranteed.  The 'will' is
fixed, its the 'when' thats the variable.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)