Samba mount

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Mon Feb 14 13:37:04 UTC 2005

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 05:05:06PM -0700, Craig White wrote:

> > > use system-config-authentication and input your domain-settings in smb
> > > and winbind, this works fine. if you need to
> > > mount a win-share do:
> > >
> > I have been trying to get system-config-authentication to do this for
> > me for over a week. I saw no entries for smb and winbind.
> > Where are they?
> ----
> Is it installed?
> # rpm -q --whatprovides /var/run/winbindd
> samba-common-3.0.10-1.fc3
>
> #rpm -qa pam_smb
>
> Is is configured?
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/index.html
>
> Has the computer been joined to the domain?
> see above re: samba docs
>
> Samba 'by Example'
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/index.html
>
> Craig
Ok, we are suffereing from a Fedora version problem. winbindd exists
in FC2 but it is not until FC3 does it appear in
system-config-authentication. But that stillo leqaves with cifs a file
type that appears in neither versios man mount page. But maybe these
links above will explain that.

It is important to note that probably no large operating system using current
design technology can withstand a determined and well-coordinated attack,
and that most such documented penetrations have been remarkably easy.
-- B. Hebbard, "A Penetration Analysis of the Michigan Terminal System",
Operating Systems Review, Vol. 14, No. 1, June 1980, pp. 7-20
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.