Netgear Wireless Card

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Mon Feb 14 15:30:34 UTC 2005

Mike Sutton wrote:
> I am spinning up a desktop computer and would like to use a Netgear
> WG311 Wireless Network Adapter to link to the Internet.  I checked the
> redhat.com and fedora web sites, and did a search of this lists'
> archives, but never saw anything on the Netgear WG311 adapter and
> Fedora.  Does anyone have experience using this piece of hardware with
> Fedora Core 2 or 3?  I would like to know before I spend the cash on
> the adapter.

Try to dig out somewhere what chipset the card is using.  You'd have to
know actual revision of the card (since same wireless card can use
different chipsets in various revisions, and the chnage is not reflected
in model name, only in the smallprint on the back of the card in
revision field).  Than check if the chipset is supprted natively by
Linux.  If it is not, than chances are that card will work using Windows
device driver and wrapper kernel module (I think it's called ndiswrapper
or something like that).  If you are buying a new card, you might choose
to save yourself some trouble and get a card with chipset that is
supported by the Linux out-of-the-box (for exampel Prism GT based card).