What's a good video card?

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Mon Feb 14 16:22:41 UTC 2005

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> He could also have gotten a faster card by not getting the SE version of
> the 9200. Those cards also vary by the amount of memory you get in them.

If he isn't much in playing games and/or 3D stuff, Matrox cards (such as
G550) are good choice.  Matrox doesn't have good 3D performance.
However it has great image quality (there is more than visible
difference when you connect monitor to Matrox card, unless you have
really cheap monitor) and excellent 2D performance.  If he is staring
into monitor all day long, his eyes will appriciate the investment in
card that can produce decent image on the monitor.

Offtopic: I was always amazed how companies that make $500 VGA cards are
saving couple of cents per card by putting cheapest possible low-end
filters in output circuits, completely screwing the quality of output
signal...