What's a good video card?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Feb 14 16:40:01 UTC 2005

Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:
> Asa Douglass wrote:
>
>> I have a radeon 9200se video card right now that I think is a problem
>> (causes X to freak out intermittently).
>> I've read about others having problems with my budget box card and
>> thought I'd try to buy my way out of it.
>> Does anyone have a recommendation for a good video card that works
>> well with Fedora Core 3 without too much tweaking for around $120? I
>> don't really game too much but I'd like to do a little video editing
>> (once I get kino to read in the files) and I'd like to be able to game
>> if called upon to do so.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Asa
>>
> If you want to play games sometimes , then check the nvidia cards. They
> have a good driver (even though it's binary only).
> And it beats ATI... I have an radeon 9500 pro and simply gave up on
> getting the binary drivers to work...
> On the nvidia side , my brother only has to rebuild the module when
> upgrading the kernel and everything works fine..
>
> --
> Pedro Macedo

I had a 9600 and dumped it for nvidia.  ATI drivers are sub-par and
didn't support 3D last year.  Do they now?  30 minutes (from time of
purchase) to install and get my nvidia card running in 3D compared to
over a month with ATI for no 3D.

Download the driver from nvidia and follow the instructions.  Repeat
at kernel updates.  Look for the card that will fit your requirements.

--
Robin Laing