SSH: Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive)

Andrew Alsup andy at shazam.widge.org
Mon Feb 14 17:09:55 UTC 2005

I'm trying to SSH from one Linux server to another.  I can ssh from A->B,
but not from B->A.  I can successfully SSH to both servers from my
workstation (using password authentication).

Server A: Debian Sarge (testing)
Server B: Fedora Core 1

Since I can successfully SSH to both servers (from my workstation),
something must be dorked with Server B's /etc/ssh_config file (I think).  On
both servers, I have no customizations entered in the ssh_config file.  See
below:

debian:>ssh -v
OpenSSH_3.8.1p1 Debian-8.sarge.4, OpenSSL 0.9.7e 25 Oct 2004
debian:>cat /etc/ssh/ssh_config
# all settings are default (nothing changed)
debian:>ssh user at serverB
User's Password for Server Fedora: xxx
*** Welcome to Server Fedora ***
fedora:>exit
debian:>

fedora:>ssh -v
OpenSSH_3.6.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090701f
fedora:>cat /etc/ssh/ssh_config
# all settings are default (nothing changed)
fedora:>ssh user at serverA
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied, please try again.
Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).
fedora:>

It didn't even prompt me for the password!  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Andy