FC1 multiple ethernet interface issue

David Benigni dbenigni at lutron.com
Mon Feb 14 18:35:21 UTC 2005

<snip>

>Unless the IP addresses are munged it looks like you have both
>interfaces in the same subnet.  Assuming that is the case for the
moment
>they probably would use the same default route and when one interface
is
>shutdown it removes what it believes is its default route which
happens
>to be the same route for the other interface.
>
>What is it you are trying to do?  I believe there are tools available
>bond the two interfaces together (assuming you have switches capable
of
>handling that).

I don't want to bond the nics.  I need to have multiple ip addresses up
on this box, I want to bind one to eth0 and many to eth1.

>A little more information on your network design may be helpful.  And
>why do you want to manually bounce the interfaces?

I don't want too manually bounce the interfaces, in troubleshooting of
another issue I took down eth1 and noticed the behavior.  This might be
normal, but I'm curious if it should do this.

Thanks,
Dave