SSH: Permission denied (publickey, password, keyboard-interactive)

Felipe Alfaro Solana lkml at mac.com
Mon Feb 14 18:43:56 UTC 2005

On 14 Feb 2005, at 18:09, Andrew Alsup wrote:

> I'm trying to SSH from one Linux server to another.  I can ssh from
> A->B,
> but not from B->A.  I can successfully SSH to both servers from my
> workstation (using password authentication).
>
> Server A: Debian Sarge (testing)
> Server B: Fedora Core 1
>
> Since I can successfully SSH to both servers (from my workstation),
> something must be dorked with Server B's /etc/ssh_config file (I
> think).  On
> both servers, I have no customizations entered in the ssh_config file.
>  See
> below:
>
> debian:>ssh -v
> OpenSSH_3.8.1p1 Debian-8.sarge.4, OpenSSL 0.9.7e 25 Oct 2004
> debian:>cat /etc/ssh/ssh_config
> # all settings are default (nothing changed)
> debian:>ssh user at serverB
> User's Password for Server Fedora: xxx
> *** Welcome to Server Fedora ***
> fedora:>exit
> debian:>
>
> fedora:>ssh -v
> OpenSSH_3.6.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090701f
> fedora:>cat /etc/ssh/ssh_config
> # all settings are default (nothing changed)
> fedora:>ssh user at serverA
> Permission denied, please try again.
> Permission denied, please try again.
> Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).
> fedora:>
>
> It didn't even prompt me for the password!  Any suggestions?

Can you look at the logs for "serverA"? Maybe you need to increase the
verbosity of the SSHd daemon running at serverA: edit
/etc/ssh/sshd_options and uncomment the line that reads:

LogLevel INFO

then restart sshd.

If you need additional logging verbosity, replace

LogLevel INFO

with

LogLevel DEBUG
or