Manual glib update

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Feb 14 18:51:46 UTC 2005

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, spamse wrote:

> I have just attempted to manually update glib from 2.4 to 2.6.2. I
> extracted it from the archive, into a temp folder, and the did:
>
> ./configure;make;make install
>
> ...presuming that the configure would make sure it found its way into
> the right place. However, I am now attempting to install GTK+ and it
> cannot see the newer version. Have I installed it into the temp
> folder? I have been searching, but am unsure how to find out.

If you are installing a gtk+ RPM, then it is looking for information about
glib in the RPM database.  Because you didn't install updated glib as an
RPM, it's not in the database.

If your hand-rolled installation of glib overwrote glib RPM files, then
things are really messed up now, particularly for other RPMs that depend
on the old glib.

If you are installing gtk+ by hand, then you are on your own, but beware
of the above dangers.  Usually, when you run configure, there are options
to tell where you want the install to take place.  It is always a very bad
idea to install hand-rolled stuff over the top of an RPM.

If you are looking for gtk+2, then just install the gtk2 RPMs and don't
mess with hand-rolled installs.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences