kernel compiling advise: FC3/adding source

David Cary Hart Fedora at TQMcube.com
Mon Feb 14 19:17:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 13:10 -0600, Satish Balay wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, David Cary Hart wrote:
>
> > > All the required include/build files for compiling extra kernels are
> > > already part of kernel.i686.rpm
>
> Ah.. 'extra kernels' should have been 'extra modules'
>
> > That's incorrect. Example: Netfilter POM requires the full source tree.
>
> If thats the case - mostlikely Netfilter hasn't updated their
> makefiles to use the proper kernelbuild env.

I have no idea.

> If it really needs the sources [aka modify them] - then I would think
> its more of a patch - hence needs a kernel rebuild [i.e this isn't
> building extra modules]

It's both. For example, we use the TARPIT module (ipt_TARPIT). This
creates an additional IP Tables target.

> [personally - I don'k know anything about Netfilter]

Netfilter=IP Tables
--

         Total Quality Management - A Commitment to Excellence
Fight Spam: http://www.tqmcube.com/rbldnsd.htm