Linux and Spywares

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Feb 14 19:44:43 UTC 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 12:45:54AM +0530, Rajev Mhasawade wrote:
> Hi all,
> Well after being criticised for my irrelavant question i need help this time! :)
> How do i keep off 'spies' from Linux?I visit this site
> (indiafm.com)regularly which downloads a cookie (or something which is
> identified as 'DirectHit' by Spybot) and identified as 'medium threat'
> by Spybot.

You could try this to help block tracking cookies:

<https://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?category=Privacy%20and%20Security&id=82>

Calling cookies "medium threat" is pretty paranoid. (Of course, the security
products you're purchasing have some incentive to make you think they're
dealing with serious problems.) These cookies can't really do anything to
you except link various web sites you might have visited together, which
they could do *anyway* by comparing server logs.

Personally, I just make sure the "for originating web site only" box is
checked in Firefox's Privacy/Cookies setting, and then I periodically go
through the list and delete and block the ones from sites I don't recognize.

--
Matthew Miller            mattdm at mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
-->  Fedora Users & Developers Conference, hosted by Boston University  <--