ASUS P5GD2 Marvell Yukon 88E8053 gigabit ethernet not detected/loaded

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Feb 14 21:06:21 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 13:37 -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 07:03, Alexander Apprich wrote:
>

> > google found this
> >
> > http://ta.twi.tudelft.nl/dv/staff/Lemmens/linux_p5gd1.html
> >
> > maybe it helps
>
> Alex, that did help.  That led me to the http://www.syskonnect.com web
> site where they had an updated driver for the Marvell Yukcon gigabit
> interface.  Pulled that down and found that it needed the kernel source
> package.
>
> I thought I could get by with just the header files but it seemed like
> it really did need the kernal sources.  I pulled those down and loaded
> per the release notes.
>
> Had to link the directory to /usr/src/linux and then the install script
> ran.  This did install the driver and I was able to configure it and get
> it working.

It probably needed the source because of hard coded paths to the headers
in the Makefile or configure.

Try checking the paths next time because a simple change to the header
path will often fix that for you.

Headers on my machine are in /usr/modules/<kernel version>/build and I
build driver modules all the time.