What is best way to install MySQL 4.1?

John Swartzentruber nospam2 at mcswartz.org
Mon Feb 14 21:08:18 UTC 2005

On 2/14/2005 3:39 PM Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:31:22 -0500, John Swartzentruber
> <nospam2 at mcswartz.org> wrote:
>
>>I think this is a more general question than just MySQL, so I'm asking
>>it here.
>>
>>I am running FC3, which comes with MySQL 3.23. I would like to run a
>>more recent version. I tried updating to version 4.1 using yum and the
>>fedora-devel repository, but after downloading lots of updates and
>>dependencies, it still ended up with an incompatibility and didn't do
>>the update.
>

> remove the fedora provided mysql rpms and use the ones provided by mysql.com

What will this do to rpms that depend on the mysql-3.23 rpm?

For that matter, how do I determine what depends on a package? I did a
"man yum" and a "man rpm", but I didn't see what I was looking for (I
did find the reverse). Is there a good way to determine in advance what
a "yum remove" will do without having it actually remove a package and
all packages that depend on it?

Thanks for your help.