Linux and Spywares

John Aldrich john at chattanooga.net
Mon Feb 14 21:23:42 UTC 2005

On Monday 14 February 2005 02:15 pm, Rajev Mhasawade wrote:
> Hi all,
> Well after being criticised for my irrelavant question i need help this
> time! :) How do i keep off 'spies' from Linux?I visit this site
> (indiafm.com)regularly which downloads a cookie (or something which is
> identified as 'DirectHit' by Spybot) and identified as 'medium threat'
> by Spybot.
> I tried and tried but couldnt get any firewall like Zone Alarm.All
> they have is confusing interfaces hard to decipher anything!Plz
> suggest something..
> Rajev

Rajev:
Don't worry about cookies. If you are, then use the options for cookie
management built into your browser and force all cookies to be "session"
cookies. There is nothing inherently "dangerous" about cookies... they are
just text files. The problem arises in how they are used. If you permit
cookies across sites, you open yourself up for more profiling, etc.