What's a good video card?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Feb 14 21:58:14 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 12:30, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> > Does this take care of itself if you use the rpm-install version from
> > rpm.livna.org and add it to your yum repositories?
>
> I doubt it. If there is a major kernel change that breaks a driver after
> Nvidia has stopped supporting that card, you are going to have to choose
> between a kernel upgrade and a new video card.

Yes, I do frequently wonder about the sanity of using an OS that
won't maintain the driver API across revisions, forcing everything
to be rewritten or abandoned at whimisical intervals.

> For a lot of people, video cards will have improved enough in that time
> frame, that they will just buy a new card.

But there is nothing unique about video cards or binary drivers here.
There is the theoretical aspect that 'you can do it yourself' if you
have source, but basically if the person/group that develops a
particular driver loses interest in updating it, that may be the end
of it's life.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com