Grub install broken after kernel update

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Mon Feb 14 22:49:04 UTC 2005

> On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 12:00, Guy Fraser wrote:
>
> > All I did was add a drive, and grub would not work any more.
> > Saying grub has nothing to do with it is complete BULL SHIT.
>
> Grub has to use bios for the first stage of the boot.  If adding
> a drive changed your bios' concept of which was your 1st and 2nd
> (bootable) drives, then grub really doesn't have anything to do
> with it.  You need to install a boot loader on the drive that
> bios will boot.
>
> If bios is still booting the initial grub loader, then it is
> a grub issue, but just involves setting the configuration to
> find where your /boot partition now using grub's non-Linux
> oriented device names.

I am using an ASUS P4PE and it has good support for many
different boot scenarios. My machine was happily booting
from the Promise TX2 PCI card until I added another drive.

> > I ended up having to re-install on a PATA drive to get
> > FC3 working again.
>
> That should only be necessary if your bios won't boot the
> SATA.

I agree, but I read all the grub {grub legacy} documentation
and tried many things. The documentation does not have a lot
of troubleshooting information, and grub has very poor error
reporting. I would be more helpful if it mentioned which file
or partition could not be found rather than just; Error 15 or
Error 22.

I was able to use grub-install without errors and many times
used :

# grub
> root (hd4,0)
> find /grub/stage1
(hd4,0)
> setup (hd4)
> quit

I changed bios settings and moved the drive around, put it
on different controllers, changed the device.map and menu.lst
settings. All I ever got was screens full of grub, error 15
and error 22. After spending all weekend, I gave up and
reconfigured to boot from a PATA drive then re-installed onto
that drive.

Maybe the new version of grub will be better, I don't know
and to be completely honest I don't care. I have wasted too
much time with this version. Insolent remarks from certain
people and the lack of any new suggestions leave me with
no more stomach for grub. If I wanted a belly full of grub
I would go on fear factor, but alas I don't, I just want a
FC3 machine that works when I want to use it.

> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    les at futuresource.com

Have a nice day.