Machine set to "auto-shutdown"?

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 14 22:52:01 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: jay <jason at coffmantech.com>
Sent: Feb 14, 2005 3:54 PM
To: fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: Machine set to "auto-shutdown"?

>This is what my /var/log/messages file reads after one of my shutdowns:
>
>Feb 13 04:02:19 localhost syslogd 1.4.1: restart
>Feb 13 04:02:19 localhost kernel: Critical temperature reached (-264 C),
>shutting down
>Feb 13 04:02:19 localhost shuttdown: shutting down for system halt
>
>Now I have a temperature setting in my bios but I never had to adjust
>this when running Windows XP.  In fact, it is still set to the default
>bios settings.  Is there something that I can adjust in Fedore to
>ignore, or set higher, this temperature setting?

This is most unusual.  The temperature above does not appear to be correct.  But I do have a question, does your system have variable fan speeds or is this a laptop?  If it is either, do the fans come on and run at high speed?  If the fans do not come on, try setting up your kernel boot line in the menu.lst in /boot/grub and add acpi=off (this will automatically enable apm unless it was not compiled into your kernel.)  Then run your system and see if it autopowers down and/or if the systems fans run.
If your system does not have variable speed fans or is not a laptop, it sounds like the CPU fan is not running and needs to be cleaned/replaced/repaired.  In this case, the system is properly functioning and is powering down to prevent permenant CPU damage.

--

James McKenzie
A Proud User of Linux!