What is best way to install MySQL 4.1?

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 23:24:15 UTC 2005

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:08:51 -0500, chuck hodge <chodge2 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Ok, I hope this doesn't sound dumb, but there are three downloads you
> need from the mysql site: the server, the client, and the shared
> components. Install the components first followed by the server and then
> the client. If you have databases from an earlier distribution you will
> need to run a script that is part of the download that updates the grant
> tables (mysql_fix_privilege_tables). After the grant tables are fixed
> you should be fine.

WOW, 11 responses and finally the right one gets posted.

OK, OK, so not that the other ones were wrong, but just not all as
easy as they could be. Getting the SRPMS and building from scratch
really isn't necessary when mysql.org already has compiled RPMs that
work.

There is really only one thing that you have to watch out for. Install
the mysql-shared-compat-4.1.9 package before you remove your existing
mysql stuff. Then install the other 4.1.9 packages (server and
client). Then you migrate any existing databases as mentioned above
and you should be fine. And you don't have to compile anything.

The shared-compat package simply provides the dependency for
libmysqlclient.so.10 which is required by some other packages and
would have been removed if you erased the old mysql.3.23 version.

David