What is best way to install MySQL 4.1?

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 00:03:09 UTC 2005

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:45:59 -0500, Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> I am wondering if there is a way to confirm that the spec files are the
> same between what fedora distributes and Mysql distributes?  If so and
> the revision numbers are maintained correctly then you may be able to do
> an upgrade just fine.  As I understand rpm if either of those items
> differ you may not get the upgrade you were hoping for.

This makes sense... or it WOULD if the original poster was talking
about doing a regular upgrade. But in this case, I think his best bet
(assuming he doesn't have any existing databases) is to install the
shared-compat file to satisfy dependencies and then remove the old
version, and then install the new version from RPMs.

This is of course only my opinion. Someone else (Rahul) seems to imply
I'm totally wrong and that's fine, but what are we here for if it's
not to offer help and suggestions.