Installation Errors

Claus Hetzer chetzer at isla.hawaii.edu
Tue Feb 15 00:41:05 UTC 2005

Aloha-

Well, mixed results.  Switching from the graphical install to the text
install worked...sort of.  I was able to complete the installation,
start Linux, log in as root, add a new user, etc.  However, after a
reboot, the display kept going black, and I would get messages such as
"the display has reset 6 times in the last 90 seconds" (I paraphrase).
No problem, I thought, I had installed Gnome the first time, so I'll
rerun and just install XWindows.  Now I have tried that twice more and
am getting the same errors I was getting before.  I also tried the
"linux text ide-cd=nodma" idea, with no difference.  I am wondering if
there really is a hardware problem somewhere, although why it would be
failing at such different points in the installation process is beyond
me; I've had it fail after only 10 packages installed, or as far in as
the second disc.

Thanks
Claus