Caching

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Feb 15 01:45:15 UTC 2005

Kumara wrote:
> Hi List,
> My requirements are,
> 1. i have a DSL connection which shared with 15 people. a Linksys
> Router/Gateway does its job and additionally act as the DHCP sever for
> my network.

Ok...

> 2. Everyday around 7.30 pm-8.00pm my network is very slow. sometimes
> (when it happens) i ping to the ISP. and get the round trip 3900ms also,
> and some packet drops.

Odds are that your ISP is swamped.  That's a classic "massive login"
period (where everyone and his brother is trying to get online).

> 3. I think if i could install a chaching server in my network, the
> shared Internet connection may not be much busier. i can leave a box
> dedicated for this purpose. but, still i'm not sure setting up it. (wholely)

I doubt that a caching server would help.  Your problem is with your
ISP.  Unless your people view the same thing every day, caching is of
very little use to you.  Caching is intended to supply commonly-viewed
content to client machines without accessing auxiliary storage (disks)
or network resources...it doesn't help that much at the client end
(and you're a client).

> 4. i want a DHCP, chaching, speed, network bandwidth, (many of my client
> are XP, a few with FC3)

Again, your uplink is sucking air.  Contact your ISP and request you get
moved to a different server, router or switch.  They'll probably ignore
you, but it's worth a try.  I had a similar issue.  I told my ISP that
they oversubscribed the switch I was on and it and it was swamped.
After going through several layers of tech support, they finally agreed
and moved me onto another one.  Problem solved.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that at work I run a huge network (we stream
over 8Gbps from three data centers), so I speak their lingo (and know
what I'm speaking of).
-        God is real...........unless declared integer or long       -