What's a good video card?

Johnathan Bailes johnathan.bailes at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 02:51:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:56:43 -0600, Les Mikesell <les at futuresource.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 16:08, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> > Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > > For a lot of people, video cards will have improved enough in that time
> > > frame, that they will just buy a new card.
> >
> > You mean for people that play games (mostly under Windows) and need to
> > buy latest and greatest every one or two years?
>
> Is there another reason you would need the 3D acceleration that the
> nvidia driver provides?

Woh, talking about selling Linux short.  Yes, hardcore PC gamers (its
different than console gaming, not the same) are kind of limited with
Linux.  But ....

There are a few good linux games from Linux Game Publishing and
Transgaming does put out a few native ports and now Garage Games or
something like that is jumping into the fray.

This is not even going into the fact that ID and Half Life folks tend
to be pretty good about getting client ports  along with the game
servers.

Yeah, its all closed source pay 'em software but its not like the
gaming world is completely barren in Linux.

I want the hw acceleration I got from my video card to play
Wolfenstein 3-D for example and why not?