Linux does what it's meant to.

John Wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 15 04:08:29 UTC 2005

Jason Powers wrote:

> Again, though, Microsoft never entered into it, but it doesn't need to
> be excluded, either. You can DIY a Win2k shop pretty easily, just stop
> paying for MS support and stick with that older version of the OS and
> software. Our windows desktops haven't touched any MS Software post-2k
> and I find myself doing a lot of the same things I do with the Fedora
> machines. We could go with MS Datacenter and get updated licenses and
> SLA and whatnot and not have to worry about any of it, but I don't like
> how many things you get tied to - you lose the ability to adapt later.
> This is no different than Sun or HPUX or AIX in my opinion.
>
> Jason Powers

There's a serious problem with DIY Windows - at some point M$ will stop
issuing security updates and then you're fucked! Even if you had the
expertise, there isn't a lot you can do to fix security holes in closed
source software.

I've written code that runs on Sun, HPUX and AIX and believe me, there
is a world of difference. The devil is in the details.

John