FC3 Serial Port Camera Problem

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Tue Feb 15 04:22:39 UTC 2005

Jeff Trefftzs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I share my machine's serial port between my dial-up modem and my digital
> camera, using a mechanical switch.  After upgrading to FC3 from RH 9 I
> no longer seem to be able to download photos from my camera.  I thought
> at first that this was because of incompatibilities between gtkam (the
> RH 9 camera app) and gthumb (the FC 3 camera app), so I reinstalled
> gtkam.  But no luck.  I have reset ownership and permissions on the
> serial device (/dev/ttyS1) to allow me to twiddle with it (permissions
> are 666, and I own it), but I still can't access the camera.
>
> Another interesting problem is that I cannot use stty to even read the
> serial port settings:
>
> [jeff at thoth ~]$ stty -F /dev/ttyS1 -a
> stty: /dev/ttyS1: Input/output error
>
> The modem works with no problems.  Can anybody help with the camera
> angle?  What's the best way to configure a serial device in FC 3?
>
> Thanks in advance,

First of all make sure you have the udev update,as it fixes a lot of
/dev problems. If this doesn't fix it, you may have to read a lot of
udev documentation and force the /dev entries.

Also, check the archives. There was another poster asking serial port
questions in the last week or so and he got a lot of responses.

Regards,
Ed.