Marvell 802.11g wireless driver?

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Tue Feb 15 04:48:41 UTC 2005

Scot L. Harris wrote:

>I'm in the process of setting up a new system using a ASUS P5GD2 Deluxe
>motherboard.  Have sorted out how to get the gigabit ethernet working
>and am figuring out how to use LVM.
>
>One item that is still not resolved is getting the on board wireless
>interface working.  Best I can tell it is using a Marvell chip set.  I
>have not been able to find any kind of driver support for this chip
>set.
>
>Trying to figure out if the linuxant driverloader will work or if
>ndiswrapper will do the trick.
>
>lspci lists what I believe is the wireless adapter as:
>
>01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.: Unknown
>Device 1fa7 (rev 07)
>
>The gigabit ethernet controller is:
>
>02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvel Technology Group Ltd. Marvell Yukon
>88E8053 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter (rev 15)
>
>That one is currently working with the latest driver.
>
>Searched the web for anyone that has used this chip set with linux and
>have not found much that is useful.
>
>Anyone have any additional ideas on getting this to work?

My experience with ndiswrapper on my laptop is that it is very
hit-or-miss from version to version. At the moment, I'm frustrated
because after doing a clean install of fedora Core 3 on this same laptop
(I upgraded it to a larger hard drive to give it another year or so of
life), I can't get the latest ndiswrapper release candidate (1.1rc2 I
think?) to work with the drivers they suggested for a PC Card I had
working with an older version of ndiswrapper. I'm using the driver the
ndiswrapper list reccomends and it does get the card's link light to
work, but nothing else.

Contrast this with the prism54 driver, which is in the kernel. So long
as you remember to add the firmware to the firmware directory, the
prism54 just works from the moment you pop in the (Intersil 3890
chipset) wireless card. I can rely on the prism54 driver.

You can check the ndiserapper's wiki for the very very long list of
drivers they can point you at. They might have something for Marvell
wireless. I think the ndiswrapper developers are doing a heroic job of
trying to support as many drivers as they can, it is a tough act to
follow. Perhaps with more time and money and a few more good developers....

Bob Cochran