Dial-in Server mgetty + pppd (Nighmare Nightmare Nightmare)

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Tue Feb 15 11:53:07 UTC 2005

Greetings,

I am sitting in my chair with a 10 pound hammer next to me, which was left
here by our building maintenance team. I have been planning a brutal attack
on my server for reasons of my own lack of knowlegde. Yes I know not a pretty
sight and civilized at all, but to tell the truth I have been tinkering with
config files four five days now and I am feeling very savage like. So if you
will excuse the bad writing as I am now also in a hurry to destroy that
server.

I have one simple to request to request, and the mother of config nightmares
if ever there was such a thing.

Try this
config files
/etc/ppp/options
/etc/ppp/options.ttyS0
/etc/mgetty+sendfax/mgetty.config
/etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config
/etc/inittab
/etc/passwd
/etc/group

I will explain what I am trying to do in no uncertian terms, and then show
what I have done to try and implement it.

Simple I have a server, I attach a serial US-Robotics modem to the first
serial port. <ttyS0>
I insert the line from the wall after testing it with a telephone into the
only line jack at back of modem.

I have a Quanta Zw9 laptop with a smartlink modem. I have completed a dialup
test to my own ISP succesfully.

I want all of my windows 98 2000 and XP machines to dialin in remotely and
access the internet via my sever.

The purpose for this setup is for our company as a hardware distributer to
test internal and  external modems before we exchange them as fualty.

This is becuase windoze is a hunk of junk and refuses to let people use their
hardware when he hadware actually works.

The Server: (I copied configs from a mailing search that supposed to work!)
<servers ip addr is 192.168.2.1>

[root at preload root]# cat /etc/ppp/options
lock
crtscts
modem
login
noauth
netmask 255.255.255.0
ms-dns 192.168.2.1
proxyarp
192.168.2.1:192.168.2.8

[root at preload root]# cat /etc/ppp/options.ttyS0
#hostname-s1:hostname
192.168.2.8:192.168.2.5

[root at preload root]# cat /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
#INBOUND connections

#allow

*      *               ""      192.168.2.8

#not allowed

guest   fliwatut        "*"     -
master  fliwatut        "*"     -
root    fliwatut        "*"     -
support fliwatut        "*"     -
stats   fliwatut        "*"     -

[root at preload root]# cat /etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config
/AutoPPP/ - a_ppp /usr/sbin/pppd -chap +pap 192.168.2.5:192.168.2.1 login
noauth debug proxyarp
* - - /bin/false

[root at preload root]# cat /etc/mgetty+sendfax/mgetty.config
port ttyS0
speed 57600
debug 7
data-only y
[root at preload root]# cat /etc/inittab

S0:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -x 4 -s 115200 /dev/ttyS0

[root at preload root]# cat /etc/passwd

ppp:x:505:504::/dev/null:/usr/sbin/pppd
[root at preload root]#

The pppd starts and then dies, seems its not accepting the IP adress for the
client.

The client
<Clients ip addr is 192.168.2.5> but the ip for the serial port must be
192.168.2.8

hence etc/ppp/options.ttyS0 above

kill -1 1 restarts inittab and reload mgetty

Configure kppp to dial with terminal,
I dial I get a connection and I type my username and get

ATZ
OK

ATM1L1
OK