NNTP (again): Pan moved from Core to Extras?

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Tue Feb 15 10:36:22 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 23:45 -0500, William Hooper wrote:
> D. D. Brierton said:
> [snip]
> > In other words, whilst
> > we're all asking for NNTP the default and only full-featured NNTP client
> > has been dropped from Core! Tell me I've got the wrong end of the stick
> > please!
>
> And so the "Oh my God!  <my favorite package> has moved to Extras!  It's
> the end of the world" hysteria begins.

I'm sorry if I sounded like I was being hysterical. I wasn't. I support
the fact that packages that provide duplicate functionality are being
moved to Extras, such as Balsa, Grip, etc., and would be perfectly happy
to see others such as xmms go too. But as was pointed out on the fedora-
devel-list, Pan was the only newsreader in Core that allowed you to
browse binary newsgroups with yEnc encoded postings. That is core
functionality for a newsreader -- that and having decent filtering,
scoring, and killfiles. Neither Evolution nor Thunderbird have the
former, and their equivalents of the latter are inferior, being
primarily intended for email rather than news; I don't know about Knode
as I don't use KDE and I don't even know if Knode is installed in a
default Desktop or Workstation install.

So, basically Fedora Core is going to lack a proper, full-featured
newsreader altogether.

> Please take it to the -devel list where it is on topic.

I'm not subscribed to fedora-devel-list because it says here:

"THIS LIST IS FOR CORE DEVELOPMENT DISCUSSION ONLY."

As I'm a user not a developer I didn't think it was appropriate for me
to post there.

Look, a decision has been made to move out of Core the only full-
featured, GTK/GNOME based graphical NNTP client it had. There has
recently been a long thread on this list about using NNTP for these
lists. And yet you seem to think that my posting here about this is (a)
hysterical and (b) off-topic. Given some of the threads on this list
recently ("Linux sucks" etc) I really think that is pretty rich.