2.6.10-1.12_FC2 kernel

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Feb 15 12:20:55 UTC 2005

John Logsdon writes:

> I have just yummed updated my FC2 installation and moved from 2.6.5-1.358
> to 2.6.10-1.12_FC2.  Except it barfs when I boot with a kernel panic.
>
> The cause is that I have /boot formatted as reiserfs and, unlike the
> earlier kernel, it tries to mount /boot as ext2.  I guess reiserfs is
> set as a module rather than compiled into the kernel.
>
> Apart from copying /boot over, remaking the filesystem and copying it back
> - or recompiling the kernel - what kernel parameters should I give to
> ensure that the kernel will load reiserfs before trying to mount /boot?
> I have tried simply adding reiserfs to the kernel line in grub but this
> doesn't work.  I can't get the module command to work - the module is on a
> non-boot partition that is also reiser and since it hasn't loaded reiser,
> it can't find it.
>
> Any clues?

You'll need to rebuild your initrd image manually, using the --with option:

mkinitrd --with=reiserfs.ko /boot/initrd.custom 2.6.10-1.12_FC2

Then add a new entry in grub that uses the kernel with this initrd image.

After you succesfully reboot, just replace the default 2.6.10-1.1.12_FC2
initrd image with your custom one.

Remember to go with this song-n-dance routine everytime you end up
installing a new kernel.