[FC3 / new fonts]How to install new fonts

Daniel Moyne dmoyne at tiscali.fr
Tue Feb 15 12:33:48 UTC 2005

Lately I have seen a message regarding questions about installation of new
fonts ; here is a simple way to do it that works with all distributions
including Fedora ; with this method all users will get access to new
installed fonts :

i) edit in root mode xml file "/etc/fonts/local.font" and add the following
line :
 <dir>/usr/local/share/fonts</dir>
notes : for obscure reasons lines :
<dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts</dir>
<dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>
already included in xml file "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf" are also included in this
"local.font" file ; if I delete them they are copied back after next boot ! ;
this is obviously a Linux unconsistency

ii) create the following "fonts" directory under "/usr/local/share" and drop
in it all the folders of your personal fonts that you want to use ; for
example :
"my_TTF" folder where you drop all TTF fonts you like,
"my_Type1" folder where you drop all Type1 fonts you like.

iii) reboot.

Regards
--
               kernel 2.6.8           / --- \     kernel 2.6.9 and 2.6.10