Problem on boot

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 15 13:20:13 UTC 2005

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Thats because linux is like any Good Operating System, it flushes all
> disk caches and synchronizes the disks such that there aren't any
> errors when you do a gracefull shutdown by grabbing a shell, and
> typeing:
>
> shutdown -h now(enterkey)

Having said that, both ext3 and reiserfs are journalled filesystems, so
they should be able to gracefully recover from a system shutdown.

Fedora can be configured to auto-fsck anyway, but it shouldn't find any
problems.

You might want to take a look at the output of mount, and check that
you're using one or the other (or, theoretically, something like JFS or
XFS).

For example, you might get a line like this:
/dev/root on / type ext3 (rw)
showing that you're using ext3 (which is good).

(Note: rootfs, proc, tmpfs, usbfs, sysfs, and devpts are all virtual
filesystems or ones that are recreated on each boot. They shouldn't be
problematic anyway.)

You might also want to check that all the partitions in /etc/fstab are
really mounting. If you've moved a disk, then fsck will fail on that
disk, so the boot sequence will drop you to a shell.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | It is difficult to produce a television documentary
Exeter    Devon    UK | that is both incisive and probing when every twelve