fixing/reinstalling grub

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 15 13:32:39 UTC 2005

Kumara wrote:
> first put M$ then, FC
> then you could sleep well
> i always do that order

Which is good advice.

Mark Weaver wrote:
> I normally do it that way as well, however this time Fedora is already
> loaded and configured which is why I needed to know how to repair the
> grub bootloader after installing Windows.

It's worth noting that if you copy the MBR that grub writes to disk to a
bootsect.lnx file (and put it where Windows can see it), you can
integrate that file with the standard Windows XP bootloader.

http://www.icculus.org/~lucasw/Linux/Linux%20and%20XP%20Bootloading.html
under "XP Bootloader" gives a good rundown of what's needed.

It's also worth noting that you can write the grub MBR to a floppy, and
boot from floppy.

Good luck: I suspect that you may have to end up re-installing
everything anyway. To the best of my knowledge, the WinXP install needs
to be able to write the bootloader files to the currently active
(bootable) primary partition, which means that it has to be FAT, FAT32,
or NTFS.

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good
Exeter    Devon    UK | tactic in Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted