Linux Desktop for university staff

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Feb 15 14:33:09 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 08:02, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 02:41:38AM -0600, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> >
> > >Visio: I don't think that OOo draw is as successful as visio. So I
> > >searched
> > >for an alternative.  One alternative may be inkscaper.  It is really cool,
> > >and
> > >quite handy. There are also win32 binaries. I guess inkscaper is a perfect
> > >alternative to visio. Another one may be scribus. Its gui is not as
> > >friendly
> > >as inkscaper (I guess), but it is also very successfull. Can kivio be
> > >another
> > >alternative?
> >
> > Also look into Dia, the diagram tool.
> >
> I would also suggest xfig.

Is there a large collection of icons for any of these tools for
things like network diagrams?   Also, has anyone come up with a
scheme to easily make diagrams visible on a wiki so the viewer
doesn't need the corresponding program?  Normally this requires
exporting to an image format and attaching the image to the
wiki page - then you also have to attach the diagram source
so someone can download to make changes and repeat the process.
Is there any way to make the process more transparent, like
having the wiki server render the image on the fly?

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com