2.6.10-1.12_FC2

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Feb 15 15:30:17 UTC 2005

John Logsdon wrote:
> I have rebuilt the initrd image --with=reiserfs (no .ko) but I still get a
> kernel panic:
>
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
> Kernel panic -  not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(3,2)
>
> I named the initrd as initrd.custom.img and it is in the /boot directory
> and added
>
> initrd /initdd.custom.img to the grub line
>
> but still a bombout.
>
> In fact during a 2.6.5 bootup, it is clearly loading the reiserfs module
> from dmesg:
>
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
> found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
> reiserfs: using ordered data mode
>
> etc etc
>
> It is a bit annoying when earlier kernels worked OK only for RH/Fedora to
> change within a release - I could understand it better if this was when
> going to FC3 for example.
>
> I have now changed the boot partition to ext3 (ie copied it, mkfs.ext3
> /dev/hda1 copied it back and re-installed grub - the grub.conf is the
> same) but I still get the same kernel panic although I can boot it back in
> the 2.6.5 kernel OK.
>
> Further clues?

A wild and wacky thought; do you have any trailing spaces on any lines
in your /etc/modprobe.conf file? If so, try getting rid of them, build a
new initrd and try booting 2.6.10 again. It seems to be a lot more picky
about parsing module options than previous kernels. It's a long shot but
you never know.

Paul.