Black page instead of login screen-Fedora2

powderkeg at snow.email.ne.jp powderkeg at snow.email.ne.jp
Wed Feb 16 06:57:10 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 11:44 am, Paul Howarth wrote:
> powderkeg at snow.email.ne.jp wrote:
> > I gotta say, someone is NOT doing their testing very well. I just updated
> > Fedora2, and now I cant access the login screen. Just get a black screen
> > where the screen should be. What are my options. Cheers.
> >
> > EDIT: I gotta add that this' the 2nd time this has happened after a YUM
> > update with Fedora2. Last time, I had to reinstall...won't be a happy
> > camper if I gotta do again..this happens when booting from any
> > kernel...now coming to you from Knoppix3.7
>
> Let me guess: you use the nvidia proprietary drivers and you've got a
> new kernel?
>
> Does booting the old kernel still work?
>
> Paul.
 Hi All,

Paul, as stated, this happens with any kernel. I guess I'm using whatever
nVidia drivers that Fedora recognized the 1st time I installed/booted. Why
does this happen with only some kernels..? Shouldn't the developers be
looking out for this kind of thing..? Damn annoying.

P.S. I don't think it was just the kernel that was updated, as I did a yum
update. Cheers.

Mark Sargent.