Password

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Feb 15 17:13:49 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Chadley Wilson wrote:

> On Tuesday 15 February 2005 17:03, Alan Peery wrote:
>> Eric Tanguy wrote:
>>> I need to create an account for a child on my machine and for that i need
>>> to make a very simple password. But when i try to do that the system
>>> answer that this password is based on a dictionay word and refuse to do
>>> it. So how it is possible to assign a simple passwd to just one account ?
>>> Thanks
>>> Eric
>>
>> For a young child this may be the wrong choice entirely.  I would
>> consider setting the machine to auto-logon, and start the GUI session as
>> that user.  This allows you to keep a good, non-crackable password on
>> the machine for their account, so that it is hard to crack open that
>> machine via the network.
>>
>> I am afraid that I don't know if there are hooks for auto-login in
>> Fedora Core...
>>
>> Alan
>
> Whats your child name and your surname?
>
> I did my sisters (who was 4 at the time like this)

Create the user then reset the password as root.  root is allowed to set
stupid passwords.

Then assuming you're only exposing something like ssh, why not just restrict
which users can login through it:

AllowUsers daddybear mummybear

jh

--
"Youth would be an ideal state of affairs if it came a little later in life."
                                                      -- Herbert Asquith