New install. Partioning advice please.

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Feb 15 17:23:44 UTC 2005

Nat Gross wrote:
> Simple fc2 default install has my disk as follows:
> /dev/hda1 98meg  /boot  85.4 meg free
> /dev/hda2 71gig   /         62  gig free.

Lots of free space then. You could boot from the rescue CD, not mount
your filesystems, then use resize2fs to shrink the size of your root
filesystem (/dev/hda2) to say 20G, then use fdisk to reduce the size of
that partition to whatever size you actually wanted (> 20G) and then
finally use resize2fs to grow the root filesystem back to the size of
the partition (this convoluted scheme makes sure that your filesystem
never exceeds the partition size at any time). This would leave you with
whatever space you had reduced the partition by to use for new
partitions, which you can add using fdisk.

> I would like to have a /usr/data structure (or  /data) where I store
> data from ALL apps.

That should be fine.

> Also, a /usr/myPrograms structure, for programs that I 'manually' (not
> from the distro)  install.

These are usually put in /usr/local so you might have a separate
partition for that.

Paul.