FC3 Install CD Creation

Rob Royan royan at ca.ibm.com
Tue Feb 15 17:51:13 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to create a customized FC3 Install CD because of driver problems
with an IBM HS20 BladeCenter.  I've had no luck at all so I've taken a step
backward to try and locate my problem.  To start with I'm attempting to
remake FC3-i386-disc1.iso.

This is what I've done:

[iso]# mount -o loop FC3-i386-disc1.iso /tmp/mnt
[iso]# cd /tmp/mnt
[mnt]# tar -cf /tmp/fc3.tar *
[mnt]# cd /tmp
[tmp]# mkdir image
[tmp]# cd image
[image]# tar -xf /tmp/fc3.tar
[image]# find ./ -name TRANS.TBL -exec rm -f {} \;
[image]#     mkisofs -R -J -T -r -v -l    \
>        -b isolinux/isolinux.bin  \
>        -c isolinux/boot.cat      \
>        -c isolinux/boot.cat      \
>        -no-emul-boot             \
>        -boot-load-size 4         \
>        -boot-info-table          \
>        -V "FC_3 i386"            \
>        -o /tmp/output-FC3-unchanged.iso \
>        /tmp/image
INFO:   UTF-8 character encoding detected by locale settings.
        Assuming UTF-8 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
        use -input-charset to override.
mkisofs 2.01a34 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
Scanning /tmp/image
Unknown file type (unallocated) /tmp/image/.. - ignoring and continuing.
Scanning /tmp/image/Fedora
Scanning /tmp/image/Fedora/RPMS
Scanning /tmp/image/Fedora/base
Scanning /tmp/image/images
Scanning /tmp/image/images/pxeboot
Scanning /tmp/image/isolinux
Excluded by match: /tmp/image/isolinux/boot.cat
Using SYSTEM_CONFIG_SECURITYLEVEL000.;1 for
/tmp/image/Fedora/RPMS/system-config-securitylevel-tui-1.4.14-1.i386.rpm
(system-config-securitylevel-1.4.14-1.i386.rpm)
Writing:   Initial Padblock                        Start Block 0
Done with: Initial Padblock                        Block(s)    16
Writing:   Primary Volume Descriptor               Start Block 16
Done with: Primary Volume Descriptor               Block(s)    1
Writing:   Eltorito Volume Descriptor              Start Block 17
Size of boot image is 4 sectors -> No emulation
Done with: Eltorito Volume Descriptor              Block(s)    1
Writing:   Joliet Volume Descriptor                Start Block 18
Done with: Joliet Volume Descriptor                Block(s)    1
Writing:   End Volume Descriptor                   Start Block 19
Done with: End Volume Descriptor                   Block(s)    1
Writing:   Version block                           Start Block 20
Done with: Version block                           Block(s)    1
Writing:   Path table                              Start Block 21
Done with: Path table                              Block(s)    4
Writing:   Joliet path table                       Start Block 25
Done with: Joliet path table                       Block(s)    4
Writing:   Directory tree                          Start Block 29
Done with: Directory tree                          Block(s)    53
Writing:   Joliet directory tree                   Start Block 82
Done with: Joliet directory tree                   Block(s)    30
Writing:   Directory tree cleanup                  Start Block 112
Done with: Directory tree cleanup                  Block(s)    0
Writing:   Extension record                        Start Block 112
Done with: Extension record                        Block(s)    1
Writing:   The File(s)                             Start Block 113
  1.55% done, estimate finish Tue Feb 15 09:08:29 2005
  3.10% done, estimate finish Tue Feb 15 09:09:01 2005
            .
            .
            .
 97.52% done, estimate finish Tue Feb 15 09:08:07 2005
 99.07% done, estimate finish Tue Feb 15 09:08:08 2005
Total translation table size: 143128
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 59460
Total directory bytes: 107230
Path table size(bytes): 94
Done with: The File(s)                             Block(s)    322761
Writing:   Ending Padblock                         Start Block 322874
Done with: Ending Padblock                         Block(s)    150
Max brk space used 7c000
323024 extents written (630 MB)

Burning the original file(FC3-i386-disc1.iso) produces a CD that works
properly. When I burn the resulting iso file (output-FC3-unchanged.iso) I
get a disk that initially boots up but is unable to locate the CDROM drive.
Any ideas of what might be causing the problem?

Thanks

Rob Royan