DNS management on fedora

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Feb 15 18:31:27 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 11:18 -0700, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 10:48 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 09:38 -0800, Wayne Beckham wrote:
> > ><snip...>
> > > What I'm looking for is a recommended GUI (if one exists) to simplify the
> > > DNS management.  It doesn't have to be GPL, but obviously that would be
> > > nice.   I just need some recommendations to go forward with.
> > ----
> > Webmin
> >
> > <http://www.webmin.com>
> >
> > I use it for dns exclusively - I don't use system-config- tool at
> > all...found it difficult/frustrating
> >
> > RHEL or a clone (price category like Fedora) is probably a better choice
> > for actual, rather than proof of concept.
>
> I agree system-config-bind can be confusing if you are using versions
> that come originally with FC3. One of the updated versions doesn't work
> at all. It's much better with version 4.0.0-3 though.
>
> While I haven't used it in a while, I've never had very good luck with
> Webmin on Fedora and the Webmin site does not include it as an
> officially supported distro (for what that's worth) although they say it
> works best on Red Hat distros. What's the secret? I'd love to get it
> working well *and* peacefully co-existing with other FC3 config tools.
> Might try again tonight on a test system I have at school...
----
Not sure what you mean by the comment...officially supported distro -
Fedora from it's inception and every other Red Hat distro has been (and
still is) suitably supported by Webmin.

Fedora Core doesn't include webmin though I think some repo's for Fedora
do have it packaged and thus, if such a repo were in your list, a
command similar to
'yum install webmin'
or
'apt-get install webmin'

would likely do it. Myself, I much prefer installing from tarball as it
has it's own internal methods to update.

Of course, you would probably want to know that if you do this, you
would have to log in as 'root' with 'password of root' and this isn't
going to install Net::SSLeay perl module necessary to use webmin via
ssl.

For that, I think
'yum install perl-Net-SSLeay' or similar for apt

There is no secret AND VERY IMPORTANT TO NOTE - config files generated
by system-config-bind or webmin are not going to be easily edited by the
other. I would recommend that you choose your poison and stick with the
program. Much like hand editing cups.conf and having system-config-
printer tossing your edits aside.

Craig