nslookup -> host, not dig [was Re: FC1 multiple ethernet interface issue]

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Feb 15 19:47:16 UTC 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 02:32:31PM -0500, David Benigni wrote:
> trust me, I'm the same way.  I still can't get my fingers to type dig
> instead of nslookup.

Ooh, you probably don't want to anyway. I see this *so* many times (and did
it myself). The nslookup deprecation message says:

  Note:  nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
  Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead.  Run nslookup with
  the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.

and for some reason, people's brains shut off when they get to "dig",
without going on to the next command, "host". I know mine did, and it took
me a while to figure out this important bit of information:

The "host" command is the one you want 99% of the time. It does what
nslookup was mostly used for, *way better*.

'dig' is generally pointless.

--
Matthew Miller            mattdm at mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
-->  Fedora Users & Developers Conference, hosted by Boston University  <--