nslookup -> host, not dig [was Re: FC1 multiple ethernet interface issue]

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Feb 15 19:54:43 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 14:47 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 02:32:31PM -0500, David Benigni wrote:
> > trust me, I'm the same way.  I still can't get my fingers to type dig
> > instead of nslookup.
>
> Ooh, you probably don't want to anyway. I see this *so* many times (and did
> it myself). The nslookup deprecation message says:
>
>   Note:  nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
>   Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead.  Run nslookup with
>   the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.
>
> and for some reason, people's brains shut off when they get to "dig",
> without going on to the next command, "host". I know mine did, and it took
> me a while to figure out this important bit of information:
>
> The "host" command is the one you want 99% of the time. It does what
> nslookup was mostly used for, *way better*.
>
> 'dig' is generally pointless.

Pointless? Pointless!?!?! It's the best thing since sliced bread and I
*always* use it, in preference to "host" and "nslookup", because it
tells me so much more (e.g. whether an answer is authoritative or not),
and in a similar format to the DNS zone files themselves.

Each to their own I suppose.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>