Linux Desktop for university staff

Jason Powers powers.jason at jimmy.harvard.edu
Tue Feb 15 20:23:19 UTC 2005

I don't mean to be contentious, here, but

> I think "perfect alternative" to excel is a bit of overstatement
> regarding oo.o calc.  Calc is limited to 32,000 rows whereas excel can
> handle larger files and calc does not have as many built in functions
> for users to draw on (date manipulations such as determining the time
> between two dates come to mind).

Do your users runs a lot of 32K+ row excel spreadsheets full of
formulas? You might want to look into training them for postgres or
something. We had one user running a spreadsheet up around 15K rows and
I kept screaming at the DBs to load it into ingres (our dbm at the time)
- having to restore it from tape twice a week was not fun, and we kept
getting her new equipment, more memory, etc. All to run this one
spreadsheet that would take her machine down periodically. Maybe our
newer 3ghz PCs could handle it, but I'm still happier having it in a
database.

> The "R" statistical package (http://www.r-project.org/) is a good
> substitute for S" and should not be overlooked in your list of software.

We make this! Rather, I work for a guy who designed it (Dr. Gentleman).
The stats here who start using it invariably stop using SPlus, saving us
thousands of dollars in annual licensing fees. It runs most splus code
without much tweaking, so it's pretty easy to migrate. Get this - they
like it better. We don't have to twist their arms or anything. One or
two of them have gone so far as to stop using SAS in favor of it as
well, though I expect this is a matter of them not using SAS for big
stuff anyway.

> Gretl (GNU Regression, Econometrics & Time Series Library) is another
> application worth mentioning to the university crowd and can be found at
> http://gretl.sourceforge.net/

Now I have to try this one out, thanks.

Jason Powers