New install. Partioning advice please.

Nat Gross natgross.rentalsystems at verizon.net
Tue Feb 15 22:01:45 UTC 2005

Markku Kolkka wrote:

>Nat Gross kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika tiistai, 15.
>helmikuuta 2005 19:12):
>

>>I would like to have a /usr/data structure (or  /data) where I
>>store data from ALL apps.
>>

>/usr/share already exists for that purpose.
>

>>Also, a /usr/myPrograms structure, for programs that I
>>'manually' (not from the distro)  install.
>>

>Use /usr/local or /opt
>
>You should read the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard before adding
>new branches to the directory tree: http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

You are correct that I need to adhere to standards.However, my situation
is that I logon with multiple id's to this machine (different security
roles/rights) and I want the same set data for almost all of my
programs. Same with programs.
Are you saying that /usr/share and usr/local is meant to cover this
scenario?
Thanks
-nat