Linux and Spywares - lack of reading

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Tue Feb 15 23:31:00 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 15:04 -0800, jdow wrote:
> Of course you do know of the recent exploits found for Mozilla, aren't
> you, Brian? What's this "No antivirus needed" I hear about for Linux?

    Exploits; even NASA has'em.  The pool of Windows viruses was at
60,000 a couple of years ago...Linux sits at 6, with only 2 being seen
in the wild.

    No, there's no antivirus needed for Linux, just yet.  And I'm not
sure there will be a need: like any other bug, we'll just upgrade the
effected package and move on down the road.

    The concept of scanning each and every file for known viruses is
ludicrious without patching the hole that makes them possible in the
first place.

    Consider this: Project: Horse barn

    1. Build the barn, but leave off the doors.  Buy heat-seeking robots
to keep the horses in.

    2. Build the barn, don't forget the doors.

    Which would be the Linux way?
Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ: 5119262                                          AIM: WheelDweller