FC3 DNS issues

Bill ngc4013 at cox.net
Wed Feb 16 03:44:23 UTC 2005

Just wanted to put in my 2cents on recommended GUI that Wayne is looking
for. I have used Webmin for a fewe years now. Yes it has had some issues
and like any other software tool it has grown. I would highly recommend
using it, getting the latest version, and depending on which version of
bind you use it comes stock with bind-8 or you can download a module for
bind-9 if needed. My experience with system-config-bind is not a good
one. I commented on it here back a few weeks ago. I have not tried any
recent updates of it yet, but if you need to work with multiple OSs' and
have reason to remotely access a machine from another, then Webmin is
the way to go.

My recent problem is new to me and very strange. Today I fixed my DNS
server and now have all networked machines working well. Just one thing
has occurred in the process and I don't know why yet.

Although DNS is working extremely well, I can not do a 'service named
stop', start or restart. All result in no response except a comment
about the server is running. The normal green [OK] never shows. If
accessing through Webmin, it shows the start button and when I try
clicking on it then the message sgows saying the service is already
running. monitorring /var/log/messages shows nothing in response.

Rebooting shows no errors, it always comes up running and works very well.

Any ideas? I thought about lock files, but I don't know yet where to
start looking.

Bill