Linux sucks? <depending on what you are trying to do!>

Arthur Pemberton dalive at flashmail.com
Wed Feb 16 04:36:42 UTC 2005

bizzorg wrote:

> My favorite Operating system vendor is the one sending me commission
> or royalty checks, since I'm not receiving money from any vendor, I
> DON'T have a favorite.
>
> I have FC3 installed on my 2nd hard drive.  There are a a few issues I
> have with FC3 that I don't have with Win/XP.

Dude welcome to the party. Let me just tell you that you're lucky that
WinXP works well for you. I myself have WinME on dual boot for the odd
time when I need somethign windows only.

> 1.) My Sound Blaster 7.1 is not supported in FC3.

I'm very suprised to hear that. From my experience, SB is one of the
better Linux supported soundcards. BTW: are you sure that's the name? I
was just on sound blaster's website and I can't seem to find that model.

> 2.) FC3 tolerates my Nvidia Geforce video card.  I have not found
> drivers yet.

Don't you love that. Technically it had no reason to work until you gave
it the correct drivers.

> 3.) I'm running up2date but it's doing NOTHING!  I place my pointer on
> the progress window and all I get is the hourglass.

Good. So I'm not alone. Here's what I suggest: Before you go to bed next
time, open a terminal, become root, and then run `yum -y update`, or
just for funt run `time yum -y update`. Then go to bed and have a
goodnights rest. When you wake up all should be well. Just double check
by rebooting the machine.

> 4.) One of my favorite games, Age of Empires is a Windows based game.
> I supposed if I take the time to learn Wine I can play it on FC3.

Yah. I liked exactly the same game, however there are four consoles in
my house so I don't miss it that much. According to wines website you
can get Age of Empires to work. However it will run slower, and will not
have multiplayer support (the only reason I really liked to play it)

> I do like the fact that Spyware or viruses do not infect my system
> with Linux activated.

The way I had my WinME setup and maintained, I had too little spyware to
be noticeable, and Norton had my back. However I had never formatted, or
reinstalled. Since, well since WinME came out and it got installed onthe
machine. And a slew of other things. Then of course there are always the
random error whose causes never seem to be understood. So formatted my
HDD, intalled WinME clean , then installed FC3, and defaulted grub to
it. Life has been sweet. I must admit that it can be boring: no defrag,
scandisk, weekly norton scan, montly adware scan, discleanups, or
occasional registry cleanup.

If you really like games on the PC, I would suggest a fresh Windos
minimal install and then dispabling the network drivers. Then install
all the games you love.