Core 3 Freezes at 1.st start of X after install

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Feb 16 12:07:54 UTC 2005

Sam Chen wrote:
>>Message: 5
>>Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:45:00 -0500
>>From: Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com>
>>Subject: Re: Core 3 Freezes at 1.st start of X after install
>>To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>>
>>Jim Cornette wrote:

>>for

>>>I have rawhide fully updated and might be able to see if the
>>
>>problem is
>>
>>>resolved or still present. Lockups are better avoided.
>>

>>Just tested this problem out on rawhide with the latest everything.
>>It
>>appears that switching to a virtual terminal, then back to the GUI
>>locks
>>up the computer, puts the fan into high speed mode, emits a smell of
>>overheated silicon.
>>
>>Best to boot from runlevel 3  and use startx & to launch X, do not
>>switch to a terminal console, then back to the GUI. Stay away from
>>tuxracer also. (As a test program).
>>
>>kernel-2.6.10-1.1142_FC4
>>xorg-x11-6.8.2-1
>>
>>I haven't tried the previous noaccel or other suggestions yet, but it
>>is
>>still broken.
>>
>>Jim
>>

>>--
>>Your parity check is overdrawn and you're out of cache.
>>

>>------------------------------
>>

> I have the same problem running Fedora Core 1 on my pentium 4 3.0 GHz
> computer, on my first reboot, the screen went black and nothing can get
> it back. I do not know how to fix this problem so I download Fedora
> Core 3 installation CD's, and all problems fade away. How can we fix it?

I guess there is some bug report that might fit the particular problem
on the below list of bugs. I'll have to narrow down the search a bit
later. For now, I'm not switching to a terminal, then back to X.

There is a lot of corruption to the display at the top of the LCD panel
when the switching occurs and the lockup happens. I can close down X,
then switch to terminals with no problem, then restart X again. 3D seems
to work alright with screensavers.

When I grabbed the installable rawhide version a few days back via FTP,
running the installer was sort of "hit or miss", it was alright, if I
was careful enough to not bother the mouse when upgrading. So the driver
is not completely broken, it seems to be related to resolution changes
or mode changes (terminal to X, when X is running.)

Pick a bug that seems to be closest to the problem that you are seeings.

Jim

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=&content=radeon+u1